Wednesday, June 23, 2010

6-22-10 Tuesday
Sister Mary and husband Bob gave me a ride back to Sioux City Monday, on their way to West Yellowstone for a trip that has been planned for some time. Mom is hanging on back in It is just me for now. They dropped me off at Stone State Park, just north of Sioux City. I camped using the 1 person tent. It is very cozy. If you are claustrophobic it is not for you. It did keep out the mosquitos which were thick. I got in 65 miles in today, hot and humid, sweating away those pounds, getting all the way to Yankton, home of a large clinic and Mount Marty College, a catholic school of some sort.. I am spending the night at a small hotel, the Star Lite ($46) as they are predicting heavy rains and thunderstorms, which I hear in the background. On the trip today rested for awhile in Gayville at the very friendly ag services business. Visited the post office and had a nice conversation with the post master. He had a 70 year old guy come through earlier this year that ended up giving up and getting a ride home due to the strong head winds. Thus far I have lucked out with very little wind either way.

6-23-10 Wednesday
Well luck ran out. had a good head wind all day. Got about 5 to 6 ml per hour on average with rest stops. Got about 43 miles -to Avon SD. Nice town with a great pool with a shower and a nice city park to camp in. Weather is supposed to be good tonight
and less wind tomorrow. Went through a town, called Tyndall and had lunch. They had branches down all over from last nights storm. I was told they had winds clocked at as high as 90 mph. Looked like it judging by the branches and missing roofs on a few of the out buildings. Tomorrow I make it to Pickstown (26 ml) where I’ll get to pick up the map I left last week at Aimee’s. This will make getting to Pierre a lot easier than using just the book.

2 comments:

  1. Dave sorry to hear about your Mom. Take care and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue,
    Thanks, It was a little tough at the services but time marches on. hope things are going okay there. Anything new and exciting?

    ReplyDelete